Monday, December 22, 2008

Holiday Canapes

These are a favorite at the Barlow household during the Holidays. We don't have an official name for them, but you could call them Green Chile Crostinis. Not a very pretty name, but they are toasty and bubbly and creamy and delicious. We like to pass them around to everyone in the kitchen and family room as we're getting dinner on the table. I'm not sure who invented them - possibly my Grandmother, my Mother, or one of my Aunts.

And, of course, we have Martinelli's to accompany every meal.

So, if you like cheesy, toasty hors d'oeuvres, give these a try. It's a very simple recipe, and takes no time at all.

Ingredients
1 french baguette
3 slightly heaping cups freshly shredded Monterrey jack cheese
4 oz. can diced green chiles
3/4 cup mayonnaise
kosher salt
fresh ground pepper

Method
Turn your broiler on high.
Slice the baguette on the diagonal - about 1/2 inch per slice. Lay them out on a cookie sheet.
Toast each side slightly, and remove from the oven while you make the cheese mixture.
Toss cheese, chiles, and mayonnaise together in a bowl, then spread a spoonful over each slice of baguette.
Put under the broiler until golden brown and bubbly. Serve Immediately.

1 comment:

Candice said...

I was just reading a Martha Stewart holidays book that I picked up from the library. I am sure that you would not be surprised if I told you that I was reminded of you on nearly every page.

I just received some Martinelli's as a Christmas gift. One word: bubbles. Sarah and I rejoiced in many many bubbles.