Wednesday, April 29, 2009

F.S. - Tomato Basil Soup

This recipe can be entirely made from food storage items. All of the soup ingredients are dry or canned, and croutons can be made from homemade bread, basil can be grown indoors all year round, and sour cream can be made from powdered milk.

Some of the recipes I post for food storage will be my own creation, and some will be others. This one is mine. Try it. I hope you enjoy it.

Ingredients
1 (26 oz) can tomato soup concentrate
1 can milk (use empty soup can)
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 T Olive Oil
1 t Kosher salt
1/2 t Garlic powder
1/2 t Fresh Ground Pepper
Fresh Basil, Chiffonade ( this just means the style in which the basil is cut when you stack some leaves together, roll them tightly and slice them into thin strips)
Sour Cream
Croutons

Method
Pour soup concentrate, milk, olive oil, tomatoes, salt, garlic powder, and pepper into a large pot. Stir to combine, and heat to a gentle simmer.

For croutons: Dice a loaf of french bread into 1 inch cubes. Lay them out on a cookie sheet, drizzle with a few tablespoons of olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. (You can also drizzle balsamic vinegar over croutons, but I like them without it for this recipe.)

Ladle soup into bowls, drizzle with sour cream, add croutons, and a pinch of basil. Serve immediately.

Powdered milk Sour Cream recipe to come later.

6 comments:

Candice said...

I love this, except, embarrassingly enough, I do not know what chiffonade is.

Shane D. said...

I had this.. it honestly tasted gourmet, for reals you dont even know its food storage soup. Good work babe!

Lauren Dyer said...

I'm sorry! I will amend the recipe.

Amy said...

I just bought a basil plant and was wanting to get a good recipe for this soup. Thanks - perfect timing! :)

Lindsay Jane said...

It was great to see you in Costco this week - how funny that we live in the same town but never run into each other! Come check out my blog...lindsaygrauling.blogspot.com

It's not nearly as helpful as yours, and doesn't include pictures of a cute baby, but you can blogstalk me just like I do you.

Mary Martha said...

I can't believe you did that... It looks so prefessional