Tuesday, June 30, 2009

F.S. - California Rolls

Yes, I will have California rolls in my food storage - Rice, Imitation crab - frozen (which I prefer in my California rolls anyway), mayonnaise, and Cucumber from my garden if I can't get avocado. I promise these are good - really. Shane doesn't like Sushi at all, so I make these for myself at home, and they are delicious.

Ingredients
2 cups sushi/short grain rice
2 cups water plus extra for rinsing
2 T rice vinegar
2 T sugar
1 T kosher salt
1 stick imitation crab (found at asian markets)
1 1/2 T Mayonnaise
Avocado
Seaweed (Nori)

Place the rice into a mixing bowl and cover with cool water. Swirl the rice in the water, pour off and repeat 2 to 3 times or until the water is clear.
Place the rice and 2 cups of water into a medium saucepan and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, uncovered. Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cover. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.Combine the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl and heat in the microwave on high for 30 to 45 seconds. Transfer the rice into a large wooden or glass mixing bowl and add the vinegar mixture. Fold thoroughly to combine and coat each grain of rice with the mixture. Allow to cool to room temperature before using to make sushi or sashimi.

Shred the imitation crab into thin strips, toss with Mayonnaise, and a pinch of salt. Slice avocado, and cut your piece of Nori in half. Wrap your bamboo mat in cling wrap for easy clean up.

Grab a handful of rice and spread gently across the nori (which will be dry and brittle when you begin, but will soften with the moisture from the rice).

Flip the nori over, and put down a line of crab mixture, and a few slices of avocado, leaving more space on the side opposite you.

Roll the nori over just short of the end of the piece, and tuck it in tightly with the bamboo mat.

Roll the rest of the way over, squeeze gently, and unroll the mat.

Sprinkle with black sesame seeds, slice in half, line the two pieces next to each other, and cut into thirds or fourths. Serve with pickled ginger, soy sauce, and wasabi (if you want).

2 comments:

jo said...

Please post more pictures of people and not food, just for me:) I miss you like crazy. Come to me!

Shane D. said...

So... Its true. the seed weed from sushi and I don't get along anymore.. It was a very rough breakup. It took all night.. 12 hours of the sushi totally destroying my insides with pure guile and hatred toward me. I didn't hate the sushi. In fact I loved it to the point that I perhaps took in too much... And now just the memory of the breakup, forces my mind to reject allowing myself to one again partake. Its nothing against sushi really... Ive just been burnt to badly. sorry sushi. give me a few more years to forget.